Virtual Support Group Facilitator
Reports to: Project Officer (Jenna Brindley)
Fixed-term contract until December 2024, with potential for extension
Starting date: January/February 2024
Emerge Australia is a national organisation providing education, advocacy, research and support services for people living with myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS). Our work gives hope and help to more than 250,000 Australians living with ME/CFS. We:
- deliver patient-centered, consultative projects to empower patients and encourage self-management;
- increase patient literacy with well-informed, medically sound information, aligned with global consensus; and
- have strong sector connections with the ME/CFS community, health professionals, government and leading ME/CFS research groups across Australia and internationally.
Virtual Community Group Facilitator role overview
Emerge Australia is looking for a facilitator to run three carers groups per month between February and November in 2024. Connecting carers virtual groups will include one group for carers of school aged people, one group carers of adults and one group for carers of people who are bedbound with ME/CFS, Long COVID or post-viral disease.
In addition, between February and June 30, 2024, Emerge Australia has received founding from Carers Victoria and will run an additional 15 carers support sessions.
The sessions aim to:
- To alleviate social isolation among individuals living with ME/CFS, Long COVID or post-viral disease and their carers
- To make meaningful connections for ME/CFS patients and their caregivers. This initiative will cater to the needs of those who are homebound, residing in remote areas, or facing isolation due to disease severity, location, or limited number of independent support groups Australia wide.
- To create opportunities for individuals with ME/CFS, Long COVID or post-viral disease to engage meaningfully with their community, promoting social connections, self-management, and knowledge-sharing based on common interests.
- To promote opportunities through Emerge Australia’s program that extends beyond peer support. These opportunities may include participation in shared interests or access to online learning resources and services.
Key selection criteria
- Evidence of skills in facilitation
- Understanding of the impact of ME/CFS, Long COVID and post-viral disease or willingness to learn.
- Ability to build collaborative relationships with colleagues and other stakeholders
- Ability to maintain appropriate records, statistics and generate relevant reports
- Excellent computer skills and the ability to learn a new virtual platform
- A commitment to evidence-based practice
- Demonstrated high level of initiative and interest building supports for carers
- Excellent planning, organisational and time management skills
- Ability to work effectively both within a team and autonomously, and foster a positive environment
- Flexibility and adaptability to changing work environments
- Driven, friendly nature, empathic and supportive
- Values compatible with Emerge Australia’s culture
- Well-developed written and interpersonal communication skills particularly when interacting with carers of people who are chronically unwell
How to Apply
Please submit the following: A cover letter addressing why you would be a good fit for the role as well as a resume outlining your skills, experience, and qualifications.
Applications close on 30th of November, unless a suitable candidate is found before this date.
Please note that due to the high volume of responses anticipated for this role, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
For more information, please contact Jenna Brindley, Project Manager [email protected]
All applications should be addressed to Jenna Brindley. Only applications with a cover letter will be considered.
The successful applicant will require a current National Police Clearance or willingness to obtain
*** No Recruitment Agencies ***