Did you know that carers make up nearly 11% of Australia’s population? Meaning that there are approximately 2.65 million carers across Australia. Carers and family members of those living with ME/CFS can benefit from joining our online peer support groups, to connect with others who undertake caring roles for their loved ones.
As part of our Online Community Group programs we are pleased to launch two online peer support groups for carers that are held over Zoom. Each group will run for an hour each fortnight, across eight sessions. Up to six people are able to join each group.
- Parents of adults living with ME/CFS held on Tuesdays at 12 pm (first session on the 7th of September)
- Partners of people living with ME/CFS held on Thursdays at 12 pm (first session on the 9th of September)
Our online support groups are a place for carers to talk to others who just “get it”, and have conversations about caring for someone with ME/CFS with the support of an experienced facilitator. Each group can determine the topics they would like to discuss in the group. Previous groups have discussed topics such as:
- How to talk about ME/CFS with your wider world and/or the medical profession
- Getting the Balance Right (your person’s autonomy, dignity, independence). How to respect their boundaries and needs
- Thinking about the Future: discussion on aging and/or illness and caring for your person long term
- Thinking about self-care for the carer
Meet your facilitator:
The Carers Online Peer Support Groups are run by our experienced facilitator Carolyn. Carolyn is a passionately committed therapist in private practice in Victoria, and who has facilitated a number of online peer support groups for Emerge Australia. As a registered Counsellor, Carolyn works with families, couples, and individuals and specialise in supporting people to live their best life, work through tough issues and learn loving self-kindness.
Do these support groups sound perfect for you? Click below to confirm a place. All groups are free to join.
Book for parents of adult children living with ME/CFS
Book for partners of people Living with ME/CFS
The Emerge Australia online carers peer support groups are supported by the Victorian Government.