Key external relationships
GP Educator, Clinical Education Business Unit Manager
0.6 FTE (able to work over 3 or 4 days) 12 month contract (with potential for ongoing)
Work environment: flexible. Those who live interstate are required to work from home.
Office: Level 7, 276 Flinders Lane Melbourne
Other Business Unit Managers, All staff
Clinicians and Researchers
Staff, clients and members of the ME/CFS community
Business Unit Manager
This is a senior position reporting to the CEO with responsibility for planning and delivering education outcomes from within the Clinical Education Business Unit. This position will be heavily involved with the management, creation, delivery and review of GP and allied health education initiatives. It will also contribute the creation of health policy positions for advocacy.
Are you looking for the next step in your career? Maybe you want to move into a role with more flexibility and lifestyle-friendly hours? Then come and join our supportive team at Emerge Australia and make a difference in the lives of the people living with ME/CFS and Long COVID.
Emerge Australia is a national organisation providing education, advocacy, research and support services for people living with myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS). Our work gives hope and help to more than 250,000 Australians living with ME/CFS. We deliver patient-centered, consultative projects to empower patients and encourage self-management; increase patient literacy with well-informed, medically sound information, aligned with global consensus; and have strong sector connections with the ME/CFS community, health professionals, government and leading ME/CFS research groups across Australia and internationally.
Emerge Australia takes a patient-centered approach to serving the ME/CFS community and collaborating with researchers, government and philanthropic stakeholders to progress our vision.
The role of GP Educator at Emerge Australia is critical to the delivery of both evidence- based best practice programs, for which the organisation is funded, and creating new programs that ultimately lead to improved outcomes for people living with, or impacted by, ME/CFS.
We are seeking an experienced and committed GP educator to join our organisation based in Melbourne. Much of the role will be delivered remotely, however the successful candidate will need to travel interstate to deliver face to face training as required.
In June, 2022, Emerge Australia launched our new ME/CFS HealthPathway, in collaboration with North West Melbourne PHN. The GP Educator will be responsible for ensuring this HealthPathway is adopted by PHNs across Australia. They will also be responsible for the planning, development and delivery of online and face to face training to General Practitioners and other health providers within these PHNs about ME/CFS.
All training modules developed by the GP Educator will go through a process of internal review by clinical staff, and our Medical and Scientific Advisory Committee, who are subject matter experts and experienced in developing ME/CFS education for healthcare providers.
The position will oversee the work of the Nurse Educator, ensuring Business Unit KPIs are met and work is being delivered according to the approved Business Plan. They will contribute their knowledge and expertise to the education developed and delivered by the Nurse Educator to allied health and other healthcare practitioners.
All Business Unit Managers at Emerge Australia are expected to work cross-functionally and collaborate to achieve optimal outcomes. We all work to deliver sustainable, quality services in an efficient and financially responsible manner to achieve improved health outcomes for those with ME/CFS.Key selection criteria
Areas of responsibility
- Oversee planning, delivery and evaluation of the Emerge Australia GP Education Initiative
- Ensure Emerge Australia’s ME/CFS HealthPathway is adopted by PHNs across Australia
- Develop and deliver a high standard of evidence-based care to GPs through dissemination of current best practice
- Lead, coordinate, monitor and evaluate the annual Business Unit Plan in line with Emerge Australia’s Business and Strategic Plan objectives
- Develop timely, evidence-based policy positions for translation into advocacy
- Keep abreast of current health, planning and funding issues as these may impact Emerge Australia programs
- Maintain appropriate records, statistics and reports
- Participate in relevant staff, team meetings, workshops and training and identify continuous quality improvement opportunities for greater efficiency and effectiveness
- Other activities as agreed
Agreed indicators of success
- Build and maintain relationships with GPs and other allied health professionals.
- Project manage the GP database project
- Participate in planning and delivery of GP steering committee consultations to identify topics for webinar modules by January 2024
- Design webinar modules and development of learning objectives and session plans for a range of GP related education topics by March 2024
- Participate in relevant staff and team meetings, workshops and training opportunities.
- Attend regular staff meetings at 11am on Tuesdays
- Identify and implement continuous quality improvement practices for improved efficiency and effectiveness
- Other activities as agreed
Key selection criteria
Required experience, qualifications:
- FRACGP and/or FACRRM (or equivalent)
- Full unconditional medical registration with Australian Health Practitioners Regulation Agency (APHRA)
- Experience developing and delivering training to General Practitioners
- Knowledge of contemporary clinical management and modern approaches in assessment and management of ME/CFS and Long COVID
- Unrestricted motor vehicle licence
- Ability to maintain appropriate records, statistics and reports
- Ability to develop an evaluation framework to measure the success of the program
- A commitment to improving the health and wellbeing of patients with ME/CFS and Long COVID
- A commitment to evidence-based practice
- Excellent planning, organisational and time management skills
- Ability to build collaborative relationships with colleagues and other stakeholders, internally and externally, including GPs and medical centres
- Demonstrated high level of initiative, conceptual and analytical thinking · Flexibility and adaptability to changing work environments
- Drive, friendly nature with enthusiastic can-do attitude
- Values compatible with Emerge Australia’s culture
- Well-developed written and interpersonal communication skills particularly when interacting with health professionals
Benefits on offer:
- Attractive remuneration package
- Not-for-profit salary packaging
- Flexible work
- Highly skilled, professional and passionate workplace
- Flexible working model, either from home, in our Melbourne CBD location or a mix of both
- Employee Assistance Program
How to Apply:
All applications can be emailed to Anne Wilson at [email protected] or for further information please contact Emerge Australia.
Applications close on the 18th of August unless a suitable candidate is found before this date.
The successful applicant will require a current National Police Clearance or willingness to obtain